Mercer University History and the Administration Building
The administration building is located near the historic center of our Macon campus, a favorite gathering place for students and faculty. Mercer University was founded in 1833 in Penfield, Georgia, under the leadership of prominent Georgia Baptist leader Jesse Mercer.
The first president of the University was
The University moved to Macon in 1873. The second-largest Baptist-related institution in the world, Mercer is the only independent university of its size in the country that combines programs in liberal arts, business, engineering, education, medicine, nursing, pharmacy, law and theology. Mercer is perennially ranked among the top regional colleges and universities in the South by U.S. News and World Report. The University operates campuses in Macon, Atlanta and Savannah, as well as Regional Academic Centers in Douglas, Eastman and Henry Counties.